Related photos
of 2
Reference : V-P-IL-E-04131
Date : 27/05/2022
Caption : West Bank, Nablus governorate, Beita village. This boy lost his left eye in 2021 during confrontation in Jabal Sabih with the Israeli Defense Forces. Palestinians villagers expressed their opposition towards attemps by Israeli settlers to re-establish an outpost on Jabal Sabih contrary to the law.
Photographer : HABJOUQA, Tanya
Confidentiality level : public
Publication restrictions : publication without restrictions
Copyright : ICRC
Description : ICRC website article, 25.08.2022:
"It Has Changed My Life Forever:

Since May 2021, ten Palestinians have been killed, including two children, and many were injured or left with disabilities as a result of confrontations in Jabal Sabih in Beita. Amid attempts by Israeli settlers to re-establish an outpost on Jabal Sabih contrary to the law, Palestinian villagers have expressed their opposition in the form of marches and protests, bringing them into confrontations with the Israel Defense Forces.

Beita is home to 15,000 residents. Each household has gone through a misfortune over the last year. If you enter any house and ask what they've been through, it is either that they have lost someone, faced injury, or have someone in the family who is disabled or imprisoned," explained Saeed Mohammad Ahmad Hamayil, whose 16-year-old son, Mohammad, was killed last June.

These are five testimonies we collected in Beita about how their lives have changed since the confrontations started in 2021.
He is cautious to save his other eye - Rayan, 12-year-old child who lost his eye :

It happened on a Thursday. We were sitting on the mountain, and suddenly something exploded in my face. I almost passed out, but then someone held me. I was in a lot of pain. I used to see with both of my eyes, now I only see with one eye. This is our land, and we will not abandon it. But it has changed my life forever," said Rayan.

Rayan's father added, "my son is 12 years old. He can't see in his left eye at all. I was at work, preparing to go back home. My father called me, asking if I'd gone to the hospital. Rayan was not picking his phone up. So, I knew he was injured. They took him in a civilian car to the hospital. I saw him at the field clinic, then I took him to Rafidya Hospital, then to al-Najah Hospital in Nablus. I was shocked. These risks happen usually on Fridays, not Thursdays.
Rayan suffers multiple injuries in his head, toe, and leg. He's more upset now. He's angry. Anything that he asks for, I give to him. I cannot hurt his feelings or say no to him. He is afraid now. He does not play with anyone at school anymore, he is cautious to save his other eye."
Original material : digital
Resolution : 8256x5504
Orientation : landscape
Colour/B&W : colour